Saturday, December 17, 2011

Outside TV Change

I have another post that has yet to be put up here about changing out the inside stock TV's to HD flat screens.  So this is out of order in the grand scheme of things.   Is anyone keeping track?

The Outlaw is designed (and comes stock) with four (4) TV's.  One on the living area wall, one over the entry door, one in the sleeping loft, and one in the Toy Box area.  The one in the Toy Box is designed to be removed and used outside when wanted.  It's a small screen (13 inch), lightweight, stock TV designed to slip into a channel / grove type of mounting bracket under the 1st compartment on the passenger side next to the entry door.  You put the compartment door in the "up" position and there are an electrical and cable plug for the TV.



After I upgraded two of the inside units I had an "extra" 27 inch TV that I elected not to get rid of.  My thought was to use it outside (influenced no doubt by the experience of trying to watch the Superbowl last year on a 13 inch TV?).

I removed the stock mounting bracket from inside the compartment door.


That was the easy part.


I obtained through one of our local outlet stores a wall mount bracket designed for flat surfaces and a working load of about 50 pounds (I wanted to over engineer it - why take a risk, eh?).  I pulled the drawers and dividers from under the inside sink area to access the interior of the outside wall to check for obstructions, then measuring from the outside, drilled two mounting holes for the TV mount.  I secured it with 2 sided 3M tape, then 2 SS screws and bolts, and finished it with a bead of clear silicone.


The mount comes standard with a ball swivel so that it can be rotated to whatever viewing position (within limits) you find comfortable.


I store the TV (inside a BBQ cover) inside the compartment when not in use.  But, it has been a good addition to the outside entertainment, is solid, and took only about 2 hours of labor.  I plan to tap into the outside audio system to run the TV audio through the stereo system, but that's for another time.

For now, this works just fine.


No comments:

Post a Comment